Sunday, May 24, 2009

Don't Feed the Animals

Don't Feed the Animals

Let Me Introduce You To Dan Ariely

Make sure you have about 35 minutes to spare before you begin watching the following videos:

Dan Ariely asks, Are we in control of our own decisions?
Dan Ariely on our buggy moral code

These links were posted by a friend of mine on Facebook and I took the time to watch the videos today. I found myself very pleased with the material covered in them.

The first video introduces the idea that the decisions we make can be influenced more by external factors than our own intuitions. I've long been a believer that situations often trump personal feelings in influencing a person's actions and decisions. This video articulates that point better than I could ever hope to.

The second video talks about morals and how, once again, situational variables are the most prominent influence in how "moral" we act. I personally don't give any moral argument much attention because of exactly this. Situations and environments can coax us to forgo any moral convictions we might have, all the while convincing us that we are still in the righ

No comments: