Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Robert Hughes’s Best Quotes on Art, Australia, and More - The Daily Beast

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/07/robert-hughes-s-best-quotes-on-art-australia-and-more.html

I am completely an elitist in the cultural but emphatically not the
social sense. I prefer the good to the bad, the articulate to the
mumbling, the aesthetically developed to the merely primitive, and
full to partial consciousness. I love the spectacle of skill, whether
it's an expert gardener at work or a good carpenter chopping
dovetails. I don't think stupid or ill-read people are as good to be
with as wise and fully literate ones. I would rather watch a great
tennis player than a mediocre one, unless the latter is a friend or a
relative. Consequently, most of the human race doesn't matter much to
me, outside the normal and necessary frame of courtesy and the
obligation to respect human rights. I see no reason to squirm around
apologizing for this. I am, after all, a cultural critic, and my main
job is to distinguish the good from the second-rate, pretentious,
sentimental, and boring stuff that saturates culture today, more
(perhaps) than it ever has. I hate populist [shit], no matter how much
the demos love it.

---SPSmith

No comments: