Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Pain and Gain | Movie Reviews | Rolling Stone

Pain and Gain | Movie Reviews | Rolling Stone: "The four words that can chill this movie critic to the bone are: Directed by Michael Bay. Remember, this is the guy who depicted the attack on Pearl Harbor from the point of view of the bomb. Maybe that's why I wasn't invited to any early screenings of Bay's latest, Pain and Gain. A studio rep informed me that the filmmaker "did not opt for a Rolling Stone review." Ha. Like that's his decision.

So, heading to my local multiplex, I laid down 12 bucks for a ticket. For a second, I worried that Bay might have sent Optimus Prime to the box office on orders to crush me, but that's too Hollywood even for Bay.

Confession: I harbored a mad hope that Pain and Gain, made for a scant $26 million (the snack budget on his Transformers films), might actually show a different side to this filmmaker. He once claimed he wanted to make a small, personal film that would reveal the real Bay. And, I'm here to report, that Pain and Gain is that film. It's dumb, shallow, deeply cynical and and creatively bereft."

'via Blog this'

No comments: