Friday, June 13, 2014

Scientia Salon


It is in terms of meta-ethics [21] that I am a quasi-realist (or a bounded instrumentalist). I don't think that moral truths exist "out there," independently of the human mind, which would be yet another example of Platonism (akin to the mathematical / ontic ones we encountered last time). But I also don't accept the moral relativist position that there is no principled way in which I can say, for instance, that imposing genital mutilation on young girls is wrong — in a sense of wrong that is stronger than simply "I happen not to like it," or "I have a strong emotional revulsion to it."

Rather, I think of moral philosophy as a method of reasoning about human ethical dilemmas, beginning with certain assumptions (more or less analogous to axioms in mathematics, or postulates in logic), plus empirical input (from commonsense and/or science) about pertinent facts (e.g., what causes pain and how much, what policies seem to produce the highest amount of certain desiderata, like the ability to flourish, individual freedom, just distribution of resources, etc.), plus of course the basic moral instincts we have inherited from our primate ancestors (on this I'm with Hume: if we don't care about X there is no reasoning that, by itself, could make us care about X).

---Steve

No comments: