Friday, December 03, 2021

I Moved to a Remote Cabin to Write, and I Hate It - Outside Online

The next time you sit at your typewriter, I want you to be honest. You're not writing for your friends, who keep offering to read your manuscript. You're not writing for Thoreau. Forget about readers. Forget about judgment. Wipe that from your mind. All you're trying to do is write about how you really feel. I know you're capable of it. After all, you sent me this letter, didn't you?

Play the proverbial therapist: write a sentence, and then write how you feel about that, and then write how you feel about that. Start a page with "I'll never admit—" and then fill it. Write an angry letter to whoever hurt you, or an angry letter to yourself. Write a letter to the stupid geese who have not helped you at all. Write down your greatest fear. Look at it. What would happen if it were true? Is it true? Imagine it's true; what's your greatest fear now?

https://www.outsideonline.com/culture/love-humor/remote-cabin-write/


_- Steve

No comments: