Sunday, July 22, 2012

This five-ring circus is only for those in love with white elephants | Andrew Rawnsley | Comment is free | The Observer

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/22/andrew-rawnsley-olympics-money-wasting-shambles?INTCMP=SRCH
I will now resume my silence on the subject before I am detained by
the Olympic thought-police. I acknowledge that the Games will bring
some transient thrills to those who watch them and more lasting
satisfaction to successful competitors. I wish the best to our medal
hopefuls to whom we now look to salvage some national pride. People
who claim to be expert say that the United Kingdom has a very good
chance of coming fourth in the medal league table. That would be
impressive for a nation of 60-odd million people inhabiting some wet
rocks in the north-east Atlantic. For all the blunders during the
build-up, I have a hunch that the actual event will be largely
successful. I hope so.

---SPSmith

No comments: